Friday, February 7, 2014

Everyone Needs a Sidekick

I did this project slightly differently than recommended. I'm still going to incorporate all the necessary elements, but I have my own spin for this one. I loved superheroes when I was little and for a while I wrote a story incorporating myself and some friends as superheroes. It was probably pretty bad and I remember that I wrote myself and my twin sister (I don't actually have a twin sister, I just thought it would be cool) into the story as the children of Hawkgirl and Green Lantern. After a slew of hard drive crashes, I'm sure the story is buried somewhere, but sometimes I'll find the little cardboard figures I made for each of the characters around the house. I had trouble picturing a sidekick, so I just made myself and my twin sister from the story in the hero maker.



I didn't really like thinking of superheroes in terms of sidekicks. I enjoyed Justice League because they were a team and despite varying powers were considered equals. Mystic (name of my fake twin sister) complements my powers and vice versa. I have more powers that come from Hawkgirl. I got her wings and have my own mace. Mystic followed in Green Lantern's footsteps and has a power ring. She also learned from Dr. Fate and knows a lot of magic. This makes us opposites because I am resistant to magic. She is more headstrong than I am and more spontaneous, but she is very serious. I am more grounded and more personable, but tend to be very funny and silly. We work as a team and ore personalities and powers complement each other. So I didn't really make a sidekick, but in a sense we work as each others sidekicks. Looking back on it, this story is mostly embarrassing, but I can see where it came from. Honestly both of the twins represented different versions of myself at the time. Mystic is the more feminine side of myself that I didn't really know how to express in middle school, so I made a character to do that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment